May 06, 14
From Couch to 5K – Beginner Running Workout from Brand Ambassador Jamie
We first introduced you to Shefit Brand Ambassador Jamie earlier this year when she shared her journey of courage and strength after receiving a pacemaker at the age of 29. Jamie is using her #StrongBeauty to coach and inspire others to find fitness through running.
“Like any good fitness plan, the key is to start slow,” says Jamie. “When I first started running I couldn’t run more than pole to pole with out having to walk. I now run 5K’s, 10K’s and even half-marathon’s.” So for all of you #ShefitFans who are interested in getting into running but just not sure where to start, here are Jamie’s top tips:
- Join a training group such as “Couch to 5K”
- If an official training group isn’t your thing, find a friend and become running buddies
- Hold each other accountable – it’s harder to miss a workout when a friend is counting on you
- Set a goal, such as signing up for a local 5K race
- Follow a fun run/walk program so that you start slow and ease into training
- Eat right and get plenty of fluids
- Consider adding weight training to your fitness routine to build muscle and strength
- Get your miles in – prepping for any takes getting your miles in – commit to running 3 days a week
- Have fun and enjoy crossing that finish line!